The Young Historical Society was formed on February 28, 1958 following a public meeting chaired by a former Mayor of Young W.R. (Bill) Tate.
The meeting elected Christian Brother J.P. O'malley as President, Clare McDonald, Secretary and Tony Hill, Treasurer.
The Young Municipal and Burrangong Shire Councils each made donations of 25 pounds towards the establishment of the Society and the first ordinatry meeting was addressed by Alan Bax, then secretary of the Royal Australian Historical Society.
The first Annual General Meeting of the new Society was held in February 1959 when Brian Ellerman was elected as President, Charles McDonald Secretary and Clare McDonald, Treasurer.
The Society took a leading part in the Gold Centenary Celebrations in 1960 at the time Young had an Administrator in place of a Municiple Council, and received solid support from the Young Witness Ltd, Radio 2LF, Chamber of Commerce and Service Clubs.
The Young Witness donated and erected a concrete marker near the site of the discovery of gold in 1860 in Burrangong Creek. This was unveiled on October 1, 1960 by the late Alex Chisholm then President of the Royal Australian Historical Society.
Following necessary repairs to the building funded by the Society, the Apex Club, Lions Club and Rotary Club, the Museum was opened on November 13, 1967 by Stuart Hume of Goulburn a descendant of Hamilton Hume, the explorer. At this time Niall Hogan was President and Brian Ellerman Secretary.
A grant of $2,000 from Cherry Festival profits in 1967, donations of display cabinets from Service Clubs and local shops assisted in furnishing the museum for the official opening.
In 1969 discussions between the late Vin Giuliano, the Secretary and the late Gus Long with regard to an area of land known as Blackguard Gully off the Boorowa Road led to Gus Long donating some of this land to the Soeciety and surrendering a lease of adjoining Crown Land. The freehold land contained the outlines of a Pug Mill, mining shafts and water races.
Arrangements were subsequently made with the Department of Lands to set this area apart for Public Recreation under the control of the Municiple Council, where there are now walking tracks, a picnic area and facilities for gold panning.
Brian Ellerman was President for eight years with Vin Giuliano Secretary for four years. Vin was of great assistance in the gold Centenary celebrations, the discussions on the "Roll-up" Flag and the historic gold site.
Niall Hogan was President in 1967, Clarence Webb from 1968 to 1971, Bill Kavanagh 1972 - 73, Arthur Mychael 1974.
In 1975 Lyster Holland became the President and the Society entered its period of greatest progress with Brian Ellerman continuing as Secretary.
The Trustees delegated authority to the Young Community Arts Centre representing the Cultural Groups interested and fund raising commenced. The Society and the Art and Craft Club each contributed $2,000, other groups smaller amounts, there was a public appeal and assistance from Radio 2LF and a Fete.
A total of $10,000 was raised to be matched by a Government Cultural Grant of a similar amount and restoration began.
The "in house" groups pay a rental to the Trustees who care for the exterior of the building with groups caring for the interiors. Trees and shrubs have been planted to beautify the area.
In November 1978 the Museum was moved to the former Primary School and since then additional items have been donated and improvements made to both exterior and interior.
The Society is a member of the Royal Australian Historical Society, Museums Australia and its South West Chapter.
The Lambing Flat Folk Museum has established itself as one of the most interesting and best kept Museums in the country and is open daily from 10am to 4pm for the inspection of tourists, visitors and the public of Young and District at moderate charge. Well worth a look to gain an insight into the history of Young.
Back to the top of this page
Back to Places contents page