The face of government first presented itself at Lambing Flat in December 1861 in the form of Gold commissioner David Dickson. After establishing the Government Camp on elevated ground on the southern side of Burrangong Creek Dickson set about the task of establishing a safe deposit place for gold, ‘marked lines of road’, issuing miners’ licences and adjudicating on grievances between miners.
The first locally organised efforts at civic improvement appear to have involved the establishment of a Progress Committee in 1862.
During the 1870s various approaches were made to incorporate Young as a municipality. The Borough of Young was finally incorporated in 1882 and an election held for the first group of Aldermen held on 17 October 1882. Following much debate the municipal boundary was set. Borough Council meetings were initially held in the sample room at Turland’s Royal Hotel located on the corner of Boorowa and Lynch Streets.
Council purchased the Mechanics Institute building in Boorowa Street in 1888 including the half-acre of land on the western side of the building. Extensive alterations were immediately carried out and the building was enlarged and made into the Town Hall. The Electricity generating plant for the town lighting system was installed behind this building. The Governor of N.S.W., His Excellency Lord Carrington, visited Young on 11 December 1889 and officially opened the building.
Young continued to grow and by 1895 municipality covered 3,460 acres and had an estimated population of 2,500 who lived in 641 dwellings.
While the Borough Council continued to undertake improvements within the town of Young and to lobby government for increased services the area surrounding Young was left without direct local government until 1906. Burrangong Shire Council was established in that year after the passage of the Local Government Act. Councillors were appointed to the provisional Shire Council in June 1906 and elections held in November. Following the creation of the Burrangong Shire the name of the Borough of Young Council was changed to Young Municipal Council.
Young Municipal Council and Burrangong Shire Council shared offices in the former Mechanics Institute building in Boorowa Street. During the 1920s the municipal council considered expanding its premises. In 1922 it was decided to incorporate a war memorial into an expanded town hall. New offices were built on the south-western side of the old Mechanics Institute building with a Soldiers’ Memorial Tower connecting the two buildings. A bronze statue of a soldier ‘on the alert’ was set in a niche at the base of the tower. The model for this soldier is reputed to have been local veteran Len Powderly. The extensions were unveiled on 31 May 1924.
As the 20th century progressed the two Councils grappled with the issues of improving roads and services within the municipality and the shire. By 1944 the district boasted a population of 10,320 with 4,320 living in the town and 6,000 in the Burrangong Shire.
In 1952 the Burrangong Shire constructed its own offices in Lovell Street. This allowed the Young Municipal Council to remodel its own offices to provide much needed additional space. Remodelling of the Town Hall was completed in 1956 and in the late 1950s the Council set about remodelling of the business district of Young.
The Young Municipal Council and Burrangong Shire amalgamated in 1980 and in 1981 almost half a million dollars was spent upgrading the Young Town Hall to accommodate the combined administration. Internal walls were removed and shops in the building’s ground floor were removed to create more offices.
In 2009 the Young Town Hall underwent major construction to create a leading regional civic centre and to accommodate staff to meet the needs of Young as a growing centre. The building was complete in June 2010 and the public were invited to view the new facilities with an open day before council staff moved back into the building.